Factors that Can Lead to Motorcycle Collisions
While enjoying the beauty of ocean views on your motorcycle is undoubtedly enticing, there are potential risks. Motorcycle operators and auto drivers sharing the road with motorcycles need to take precautions in order for everyone to stay safe. An understanding of risks can help all Florida road users promote safety in this stunning beach community.
Legal guidance can be extremely helpful if you were operating a motorcycle and sustained an injury due to a negligent driver or you were a driver who believes a motorcyclist’s behavior prompted an accident, share your story with a Boca Raton personal injury lawyer.
Heavy Traffic, Distracted Drivers, and More
Boca Raton is a thriving city with a significant population and an influx of tourists. Heavy traffic can increase the risk of motorcycle collisions, especially during tourist season. These traffic risks are then compounded when there are distracted drivers on the road, which is a growing concern nationwide, and Palm Beach County is no exception.
On top of traffic concerns and distracted drivers, Florida’s unpredictable weather can make for slippery road conditions, especially during sudden rain showers, increasing the risk of motorcycle accidents as well. This is exacerbated when motorcycle operators are tempted to exceed the speed limit on open roads as speeding raises accident risks and makes consequences more severe.
How Motorcycle Riders Can Stay Safe
There are steps you can take to protect yourself if you enjoy riding a motorcycle in Florida’s beach communities. Some of the following recommendations can help you avoid motorcycle accident injuries.
- Wearing protective gear. An effective way to reduce the risk of injury should a motorcycle accident occur is to wear appropriate protective gear when riding, including helmets, gloves, protective clothing, and sturdy boots.
- Ride defensively. When operating a motorcycle or driving a car, stay alert and anticipate actions from other drivers, meaning be prepared for sudden lane changes, unexpected stops, and potential road hazards.
- Cancel a motorcycle ride when the weather is poor. If possible, avoid riding in heavy rain or poor weather conditions as slippery roads can make it challenging to maintain control of a motorcycle.
- Keep your motorcycle well maintained. To ensure your motorcycle is in good working condition, perform maintenance checks and check tire inflation regularly.
- Training and education. Being open to improvements can enhance your riding skills and increase your ability to navigate challenging situations, so consider taking advanced motorcycle riding classes.
- Avoid distractions. Everyone on the road, motorcyclists, car drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists, should avoid distractions such as engaging with their mobile phones or participating in other activities that can divert a person’s attention.
Many individuals enjoy the scenic routes of this beautiful region on motorcycles, and a lot of them do so without incident, but if you were involved in an accident and are unsure what to do next, protect your rights with a conversation with a Boca Raton personal injury lawyer.
Do you need financial relief due to treatment for a motorcycle injury? The attorneys at Leifer & Ramirez can help. If you were injured in an accident in Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, or Pompano Beach, call 561-660-9421.