Boca Raton Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident involving a semi-truck or 18-wheeler, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses. Our Boca Raton truck accident lawyers at Leifer Law Firm have experience with these special types of personal injury cases. We can help you file a claim against the driver’s insurance company, their employer or even the truck manufacturer depending on the circumstances of your case. We will fight aggressively for your right to collect compensation and we will not settle for a bottom dollar amount.
Understanding Truck Accident Cases
To qualify for compensation in a truck accident case, you and your truck accident lawyer must prove that the driver was negligent at the time of the accident.
Even if you are partially responsible, Florida law allows you to collect for the portion you were not responsible for. But, you have limited time to file these types of claims; therefore, it’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Things You Need to Know About Truck Accidents
Truck accidents happen for a variety of reasons in Florida. But, what is important is whether or not the cause was related to the driver’s negligence.
Some eligible causes of truck accidents can include, but are not limited to:
- Lack of driving experience
- Failure to obey the rules of the road
- Failure to yield to traffic signals or signs
- Improper loading of cargo
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including prescription drugs)
- Not looking out for smaller vehicles
- Failure to stop at weigh stations and carrying too heavy of a load
- Operating the truck improperly
What are the Most Common Types of Truck Accidents?
There are three categories of truck accidents, which include:
- Truck driver negligence
- Poor maintenance
- Negligence of other drivers sharing the road with the truck
The type of accident that will occur depends on the circumstances surrounding the accident. But, some of the most common types of truck accidents we see at Leifer Law Firm include:
- Rollovers – There are numerous ways a semi-truck can experience a rollover. From speeding to taking steep inclines or declines to accidentally tipping over a curb, the possibilities are endless. But, a rollover can take other vehicles with it – causing catastrophic results.
- Jackknife Accidents – A jackknife occurs when the trailer’s drive axle brakes lock into place, causing the back trailer to skid out of control. The trailer itself may tip over while the actual truck stays on the ground or it may force the entire truck to rollover.
- Under-rides – These are one of the most dangerous and fatal types of truck accidents on the road. This is when a smaller vehicle rear-ends the trailer of a truck and is forced underneath the trailer, often leading to fatalities or severe injuries.
- Rear End Accidents – The heavier the truck load, the more distance is needed to stop. Truck drivers who do not calculate how much space they need may rear end the vehicle in front of them. Even at slow speeds, a rear-end collision with a semi-truck can cause catastrophic injuries and damages.
- Motorcycles – For some reason, trucks and motorcycles cannot share the road together – and it is a common type of accident. Because motorcycles are often in a truck’s blind spot, a driver may move over without seeing the motorcycle rider. Most often, accidents between trucks and motorcycles result in fatalities.
- DUI – Truck drivers have been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs just like passenger vehicle drivers. Truck drivers, however, have additional responsibility on the road and are not allowed to operate their vehicle with a drop of alcohol – while other drivers can have up to 0.08% in their blood before breaking the law. Unfortunately, many truck drivers drink during their pit stops and still get behind the wheel.
- Brake Failure Accidents – Semi-trucks rely heavily on their brakes to stop and brake failures or malfunctions may cause the truck to crash into vehicles or objects. Brake failure can occur due to improper maintenance, manufacturer defects or improper installation.
- Runaway Trucks – When a truck does not brake properly, they may lose control of their truck, resulting in a runaway truck accident. These trucks are uncontrollable and can be traveling at significant speeds at the time of impact.
- Blind Spot Accidents – Trucks have significant blind spots and the larger the truck, the thicker the blind spot. If they do not look to see if a vehicle is in their blind spot, they may accidentally crush that vehicle or run it off the road changing lanes.
- Wide Turn Accidents – A truck driver needs to account for their trailer when making a turn. Sometimes they may misjudge, resulting in an accident with vehicles waiting for their turn signal.
- Tire Blowout – Similar to a blowout on a passenger vehicle, a truck can easily lose control when one of the tires blows out – and that blow out debris can take out several vehicles, too.
- Side Impact – Side impact or T-bone collisions are common with semi-trucks just as often as passenger vehicles.
- Lost Loads – When a truck’s load is not properly secured, it can fall off the back of the truck causing vehicles behind it to swerve and possibly collide with one another, the debris or even the truck.
Truck Accident Cases
At Leifer Law Firm, we are experienced in multiple areas of truck accidents. We can handle both interstate and intrastate cases that involve:
- Cement trucks
- Construction vehicles
- Delivery vehicles
- Dump trucks
- Garbage or waste trucks
- Moving vans
- Rental trucks
- Work vehicles
- 18-wheeler trucks
- Flatbed trucks
- Double and three-trailer semi-trucks
We will work hard to prove who was at fault for the accident and our in-house investigative team can work to prove negligence. Due to the damage that is caused by most Boca Raton truck accident lawyer, the cost to recover from these types of accidents is in the thousands—and much more than anyone could handle on their own.
What are the Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
Trucks not only are much heavier and larger than passenger vehicles, but their safety comes down to the person behind the wheel. Truck drivers in today’s industry are forced to meet impossible deadlines, work long shifts and rush rather than consider safety.
Some common causes of truck accidents include:
- Speeding – A truck driver must meet a specific delivery time in order to get their full job pay. Some companies even offer bonuses for arriving early. To do that, a driver must speed, which puts everyone on the road at risk.
- Fatigued Driving – Some drivers will drive for days without adequate rest, and only relying on an hour nap here and there. These fatigued drivers are serious safety hazards on the road. All it takes is accidentally nodding off at the wheel for a split second to cause an accident. Also, fatigued drivers are less likely to react quickly to situations on the road, increasing the chances for an accident.
- Unsecured Cargo – Cargo must be evenly distributed on a truck so that it can turn and maneuver properly. Truck drivers are supposed to check on their cargo to make sure it doesn’t shift while driving, but also to make sure after each delivery that their truck is still evenly distributed.
- Rollovers – Semi truck rollovers are a common occurrence on freeways, especially in poor weather conditions. But, sometimes a driver that is cut off or has to react too quickly may accidentally jack-knife their semi-truck, which usually causes it to rollover.
- Poor Maintenance – When a truck is not maintained, such as putting proper air in the tires, checking brakes, etc. it can be deadly. As with a vehicle, you must maintain on a regular basis considering how many miles they drive each month. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association, 23 percent out of the two million trucks they inspected violated safety codes.
- Inadequate Stopping Distances – Trucks are heavier; therefore, they take longer to stop even at slower speeds. If a driver misjudges how much space he needs to stop, he or she could rear end another vehicle.
- Inexperienced Drivers – Driving a semi-truck requires a commercial license, but just because someone has a license does not mean that he or she is experienced. Many components on a semi-truck are different than a passenger vehicle. Inexperienced drivers may not know how to properly react in situations, may not know how to operate the vehicle in poor weather, etc. – all putting other drivers at risk.
- Longer Combinations – Some drivers can carry up to three trailers. This makes it even more difficult to control the back trailer, and even make turns, which may cause a truck with too many trailers to cause a wreck.
- Distracted Driving – Semi-truck drivers can become distracted just as easily as other drivers. They have a lot of equipment to operate and some truck drivers have been known to talk on the phone or text while driving.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
The injuries and losses associated with truck accidents are catastrophic. Because of the size and weight of these vehicles, most passenger vehicles do not stand a chance against them.
Truck accidents also have a higher number of fatalities than passenger vehicle accidents because of their size. Even at slow speeds, the damage by a semi-truck can be severe.
By hiring the Boca Raton truck accident lawyers at Leifer Law Firm, you get lawyers who are skilled in representing victims just like you against insurance companies, large trucking companies, and the driver’s attorneys. Our lawyers can:
- Review the accident report
- Interview witnesses
- Hire expert witnesses
- Review police reports
- Review the driver’s history
- Interview medical providers
- Analyze medical records
In these types of cases, often more than one party is sued for a victim’s injuries. That is why you need Boca Raton truck accident lawyers to assess your case and determine which parties can be held liable for your injuries. Just some of the individuals that may be named in your suit include:
- The driver
- The driver’s employer
- The owner of the truck (if not the employer)
- The individual or company that leases out the truck
- Owner of the truck trailer
- Owner of the company that maintains the truck or trailer
- Manufacturer of the truck or trailer – or any components on it
Lawsuits in Truck Accidents
Because the injuries are more severe, you may have multiple injuries listed in your lawsuit. Just some of the injuries you may be able to sue for include:
- Head trauma
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Loss of limbs
- Permanent disability
- Broken bones or fractures
- Cuts and lacerations
A Settlement You Deserve
As the victim of a semi truck accident, you may be entitled to a settlement for your injuries and losses. With the assistance of a truck accident attorneys Boca Raton from Leifer Law Firm, you may receive compensation for:
- Medical Expenses – This can include doctor’s bills, hospital fees, prescription medications, emergency room visits, ambulance rides, physical therapy, rehabilitative therapy, medical devices and assistive devices.
- Future Medical Costs – If you will need future or long-term medical care, you may be able to get compensation for those projected costs.
- Lost Wages – You most likely had to take time off work to recover from your accident and you may be permanently unable to return to work. Regardless of how long you took off work and how long you will have to stay away from work, you can recover those lost wages.
- Loss of Future Earnings – If you have to change jobs because you can no longer work or you have to permanently cut your hours, then you can collect on the wages you would have earned in the future if you hadn’t been injured.
Lastly, you may be able to claim pain and suffering for your injuries and the traumatic experience of being in a truck accident.
Get the Compensation You Deserve, Contact a Boca Raton Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, don’t rely on insurance companies to give you the compensation you need. Contact the team at Leifer Law Firm today for a free consultation and to get started on your truck accident claim today. Our Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Offices serving all of Florida.