What to Do If You Are in a Car Accident in Florida
After a car accident you are likely dazed and confused. But, it is important to take certain steps immediately after the accident to make filing your claim easier.
- Safety Matters the Most. Do not worry so much about your insurance claim as making you and anyone involved in the accident is okay. This means calling 911 if no one has already done so and taking care of injured parties. Do not move the vehicles; instead, wait for the police to arrive to document each vehicle’s location before they are moved. But, make sure you and passengers get out of the way of oncoming traffic.
- Call the Police. Do not let someone convince you that the police are not needed. Contact the police immediately and have an official report written up.
- Get Info. Exchange information with the other driver, including names, contact, and insurance information. If you can get their driver’s license number on your own or via the police report, then this is also helpful.
- Find Witnesses. Get the name and contact information of any witnesses that saw the accident. You will want to get this information quickly, because most witnesses do not stick around for the aftermath.
- Take Your Own Photos.Take photographs of the accident. This can easily be done with the availability and accessibility of smartphones. You will want to get photos of the driver, injuries, as well as the damage to your vehicle.
- Do Not Discuss Fault. You do not need to blame the other driver or even discuss who is at fault. If the other driver does admit their fault, be sure to document it.
- Create Your Own Accident Record. Being organized is your first line of defense against any false claims. You will want to keep everything associated with your accident in a file and in chronological order.
- File a Claim with Insurance. Florida is a no-fault state; therefore, you will have to file a claim with your insurance company regardless of whether or not you were at fault.
- See a Doctor. You will need to see a doctor as soon as possible to record your injuries and make record of any injuries caused by the accident.
Contact an experienced Boca Raton Car Accident Attorney
Lastly, you need to contact a car accident attorney to protect your legal rights. Even if the other driver admits fault, insurance companies may make it difficult to receive the settlement you deserve. Contact the team of Boca Raton car accident attorneys at Leifer Law Firm today for a free consultation and let us help you with your accident case.