West Palm Beach Boat Accident Lawyer
Florida’s beautiful coast line makes boating a favorite pastime for many. However, boating accidents have been increasing over the past few years. According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida saw 67 boating fatalities in 2017, equal to the number in 2016 but up a whopping 40% from only two years ago. According to the same source, Florida lead the nation in 2016 with 684 recreational accidents.
If you or someone you care about has suffered an injury in a boating accident, you should contact the West Palm Beach boat accident lawyers at Leifer Law Firm right away.
People can get injured on a boat in many different ways, including:
- Passengers are thrown from the boat when it hits a wake, rock, or another boat
- Passengers suffer a direct hit from another boat when two vessels collide
- Passengers suffer an injury when they are thrown around inside the boat, landing on hard surfaces or other passengers
- Passengers can drown if the boat capsizes and it lacks lifeboats or safety vests
- Passengers can suffer burn injuries or smoke inhalation if a fire breaks out on the boat
Frequently, these injuries are the fault of someone else, usually the boat operator or the boat owner. If so, you can sue them in a lawsuit and receive compensation.
Most boat accident lawsuits are based on negligence. Florida law requires that boat owners and operators treat passengers with reasonable care. When they fall below that standard, they are legally liable for any injuries suffered.
Boat operators can be negligent by:
- Operating the boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Operating the boat while distracted, such as while sending or receiving a text message
- Operating the boat in a risky manner, such as riding across another boat’s wake or going an excessive speed for the conditions
Boat owners can also be negligent if they:
- Fail to have lifeboats, life vests, or flotation devices on the boat
- Neglect to have the boat properly maintained or serviced
- Hire someone who is dangerous to operate their boat as an employee
Each case is different and turns on its own facts. At the Leifer Law Firm, our West Palm Beach boat accident attorneys will review each case individually to determine whether you have a negligence lawsuit.
Our clients have received money damages for a variety of economic and non-economic losses, including:
- Medical expenses to treat their injuries
- Future medical expenses, if their injuries are so serious they will need continuing or ongoing care
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages or reduced earnings capacity, if their injuries prevent them from returning to their old job
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress or mental anguish
The amount of compensation available to you depends on many factors, such as the severity of your injuries. Generally, our clients who have the most serious physical injuries receive the most money in a settlement or lawsuit.
Speak with a West Palm Beach Boat Accident Lawyer Today
Boating should be a pleasurable activity, but when disaster strikes you need an aggressive lawyer in your corner who is looking out for your rights. At the Leifer Law Firm, we have decades of experience representing injured clients just like you. To learn more about the services we provide, please contact us to schedule your free consultation.