Fort Lauderdale Wrongful Death Lawyer
Even as you grieve the passing of a loved one who died in an accident, you face considerable uncertainty now that this person is no longer in your life. If you are the surviving spouse, your world is turned upside down without the financial contribution and companionship he or she offered. As a child, you may never again enjoy the benefit of the deceased person’s support and guidance.
Fortunately, Florida law allows you to seek compensation from the party responsible for causing the death of your loved one. Our Fort Lauderdale wrongful death lawyers at Leifer & Ramirez are dedicated to helping you through these difficult times by offering the legal support you need. Please contact us to hear more about how a Fort Lauderdale wrongful death lawyer is a valuable asset in enforcing your rights.
Overview of Wrongful Death Claims in Florida
When a person dies a result of an accident, Florida’s wrongful death statute provides that certain family members and the decedent’s personal representative may have a claim for compensation for their losses. These cases are called wrongful death claims because the victim’s passing was caused by someone else’s misconduct, carelessness, or negligence. Examples include:
- Intentional criminal acts, such as murder;
- Unintentional acts which are still criminal, including manslaughter through drunk driving;
- Traffic-related accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians;
- Medical errors;
- Dangerous products;
- Dog bites and animal attacks;
- Hazardous conditions on property; and,
- Many others.
Your right to compensation in a wrongful death claim depends on your ability to establish certain elements, so it is important to have a Fort Lauderdale wrongful death attorney represent your interests. Our lawyers at Leifer & Ramirez will develop a legal strategy to help prove that:
- The responsible party had a duty to exercise reasonable care in acting, so as not to cause injury to others;
- That person failed in this obligation;
- The breach of duty caused an accident, killing your loved one; and,
- You and your family suffered losses from the victim’s passing.
Compensation Available in a Wrongful Death Case
If you have proper standing as a family member and can prove the above elements, you may be entitled to recover for the losses you suffer, such as:
- Loss of the earning capacity the deceased would have earned;
- Loss of financial support the decedent would have contributed to your family;
- Loss of companionship, for the surviving spouse; and,
- Other damages depending on your situation.
In addition, you may be able to pursue the losses the victim could have sought if he or she had lived, including:
- Medical bills related to the victim’s injuries before death;
- Funeral and burial expenses; and,
- Additional potential damages.
Set up a Free Case Assessment with a Fort Lauderdale Wrongful Death Lawyer
Our legal team at Leifer & Ramirez has the knowledge, dedication, and resources to enforce your rights, and those of your family members. Please contact us at 561-660-9421 or go online to hear more about how a Fort Lauderdale wrongful death attorney can help with your case.