Delray Beach Truck Liability Lawyer
Truck accidents can cause catastrophic injuries for victims, changing their lives forever as they must deal with physical, emotional, and financial issues. Unfortunately, these incidents are on the rise: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports a three percent increase in the number of fatal truck accidents from 2015-2016. Accidents involving 18-wheelers are complicated for a number of reasons, as truck liability is a specialized area of law. Still, regardless of the complexities, you do have rights as the victim of a truck accident in Florida.
If you or a loved one is facing issues regarding truck liability, you need a skilled attorney to fight for your rights. At Leifer Law Firm, our Delray Beach truck liability lawyers have extensive experience taking on the responsible parties in semi accidents. Please contact us to hear more about how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Truck Liability Claims
In general, truck liability claims are based upon the legal concept of negligence: The responsible driver had a legal obligation to exercise due caution, breached this duty, and the resulting collision caused your injuries. Though the specifics of a truck accident vary depending on the unique circumstances, some common liability scenarios include:
- Jackknife crashes, where the truck’s trailer skids forward and out of control;
- Underrides collisions, when a smaller vehicle rear-ends the semi trailer and is forced underneath;
- Rear end accidents, as trucks require more distance to stop and a driver may miscalculate when to apply the brakes;
- Rollover crashes, that may occur when a driver is speeding, take a curve too quickly, or loses control on a steep include;
- Collisions caused by cargo issues, since improperly secured loads can fall off the trailer or shift;
- Tire blowouts, which can send a truck careening or in an extremely dangerous runaway situation;
- Accidents due to brake failure, especially where the incident is a result of negligent maintenance, defective equipment, or failure to inspect; and,
- Many other truck liability situations.
Truck Liability for Injuries in an Accident
Liability can be complicated in a truck accident due to many different factors. For one, victims can suffer catastrophic injuries due to the difference in size between an 18-wheeler and passenger vehicle. Where a truck operator may walk away from a collision unscathed, the occupants of the car are more likely to suffer fatal, life-threatening, or debilitating injuries. By their nature, these injuries will cost more to treat, and some victims will never recover. Permanent disability, loss of independence, and other consequences are common.
In addition, truck liability issues are complex because they often involve multiple parties, far more than in a car accident. The truck driver may be employed by or under a contract with a trucking company, which creates legally technical challenges related to employer-employee and agency-principal relationships. Though there are insurance companies involved with almost all motor vehicle crashes, the stakes are higher in truck liability. The policies are higher, which means insurers put their toughest, most experienced agents on your claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Delray Beach Truck Liability Lawyer
If you would like to set up a free case assessment regarding a truck accident claim, please contact Leifer Law Firm to speak with one of our Delray beach truck liability lawyers. You can call our office at 561-660-9421, go online to learn more about our legal services in personal injury cases.