Delray Beach Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are some of the most severe types of motor vehicle collisions and, unfortunately, they are also far too common in Florida. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that the number of injury-causing truck accidents was around 97,000 in 2015 and 119,000 in 2016. Victims suffer tremendously, mainly due to the size differential between a passenger car and 18-wheeler.
Fortunately, Florida law does provide you with rights if you were injured in a truck accident. It is possible to seek compensation for your losses, but it is critical to retain an experienced lawyer to represent you when up against tough trucking companies and their insurers. Our Delray Beach truck accident lawyers at Leifer Law Firm can help, so please contact us today to set up a free consultation.
How Truck Accident Claims Work in Florida
Though truck collisions present unique challenges, at its core a victim’s claim is based upon negligence. Therefore, you must prove that:
- The truck operator had a legal duty to operate the vehicle safely, so as not to put others on the road at risk of injury;
- The driver failed to comply with this duty of care, by engaging in conduct that was reckless or negligent;
- You were injured in a truck accident that was caused by this negligence; and,
- You suffered losses due to your injuries.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Even with this general statement on the essential elements of a truck accident claim, there are still different factors that contribute to collisions. Some common causes of truck crashes include:
- Driver inexperience, especially considering the specialized systems in an 18-wheeler;
- Failure to adhere to the rules of the road;
- Improper loading of the truck’s cargo;
- Distracted driving, including eating, drinking, or using a cell phone;
- Drunk driving;
- Drowsy or fatigued driving, which is a particular concern due to truck drivers’ long hours;
- Traveling too fast for conditions;
- Poor maintenance or failure to inspect tires, brakes, and other systems; and,
- Many more.
Seek Compensation for Your Truck Accident Losses
Trucks are much heavier and larger than passenger vehicles, especially when the trailer is fully loaded with cargo. Generally, the injuries to victims in an accident will be more serious, perhaps even life-threatening or fatal. As the victim of a truck accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation from the driver, trucking company, insurer, or other related parties. You may be entitled to seek:
- Medical costs and expenses related to future care;
- Lost wages, if you were prevented from working while you recovered from your injuries;
- Loss of future earnings, if you were unable to ever return to your chosen profession or were forced to reduce your hours;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and,
- Other potential losses.
Discuss Your Rights with a Delray Beach Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, it is critical to work with experienced attorneys to recover the highest amount of compensation allowed by Florida law. Our Delray Beach truck accident lawyers at the Leifer Law Firm provide solid, skilled representation in these types of cases, so please contact our office to schedule a free consultation right away. You can reach our firm by calling 561-660-9421 or visiting our website.