Delray Beach Slip & Fall Lawyer
Florida property owners have a duty to maintaining a safe environment for visitors who enter upon the premises. If they fail to comply with this legal duty, they may be legally responsible for any injuries victims sustain due to the dangerous conditions. The legal concept of premises liability, often called “slip and fall” laws, provides you with rights against a negligent property owner. However, the process of filing a claim to get the compensation you deserve can be complex. If you were injured because a property owner failed to protect against hazards on the premises, you should discuss your legal remedies with a Delray Beach slip & fall lawyer at the Leifer Law Firm right away. You may also find it useful to review some important information about premises liability in Florida.
Negligence and Florida Premises Liability Laws
Slip and fall cases are usually the result of someone’s negligence in maintaining the premises; the property owner may be a potential party, but you may have a claim against others. Generally, you can maintain an action against any entity with control over the premises, including the occupier, tenant, management company, and others. You must also prove facts that show:
- The responsible party had notice of the hazard and did nothing about it;
- The property owner failed to conduct a reasonable inspection of the premises, which allowed the dangerous condition to continue;
- The responsible party did not display warning signs, barricades, or other items that would draw attention to the hazard and prevent visitors from encountering it;
- The property owner had notice of dangerous and/or criminal activity on the premises and did not procure appropriate security measures; or,
- Other information that demonstrates the duty of the property owner, breach of that duty, and that you suffered losses due to your injuries.
Our slip and fall attorneys at the Leifer Law Firm are highly experienced in establishing your rights as an injured victim in a premises liability case. We also have access to professionals that support our efforts to fight for your rights, including medical experts, economists, building code specialists, and others.
Compensation for Slip and Fall Injuries
Victims who are hurt due to dangerous conditions on property may recover various types of compensation for their losses. We will aggressively pursue your right to such damages as:
- Medical costs;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Losses based upon your personal relationships;
- Emotional distress; and,
- Other losses depending upon your case.
However, you should note that your rights may be limited by state law. For one, the Florida statute of limitations requires you to file a lawsuit in a slip and fall case within three years after the incident. If you do not sue the responsible party, you are forever barred from enforcing your rights. In addition, Florida follows a rule called contributory negligence in premises liability cases. If your actions contributed in any way to your injuries, your compensation will be reduced by the amount of your own fault.
Consult with a Delray Beach Slip & Fall Lawyer About Your Rights
Premises liability claims can be complicated, and you put your rights at risk if you do not have a skilled attorney to represent your interests. You have a greater likelihood of success by retaining legal counsel, so please contact the Leifer Law Firm at 561-660-9421 or via our website. We can set up a free consultation with a Delray Beach slip and fall lawyer who can tell you more about your legal remedies.