Deerfield Beach School Injury Lawyer
It is every parent’s nightmare—to receive a phone call saying that their child has been hurt. However, it happens every day. A child is swinging from the monkey bars at school and he falls and breaks an arm. A little girl is playing handball and she breaks her nose. A boy is racing to sixth period, only to trip and fall down the stairs. Just like when they are at home, children are susceptible to so many everyday hazards at school, and it is difficult to keep them safe all the time. That said, schools have a duty to do their best to keep students safe while students are in their care, and when they fail to uphold that duty, they could be held liable.
While a school cannot be held liable for a student who breaks his arm on the monkey bars, or who sustained a broken nose during a competitive game of handball, it could be held liable for unsafe property conditions, negligent security, negligent supervision, or even product defects.
At the Leifer Law Firm, our Deerfield Beach school injury lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured people throughout Florida. If your son or daughter sustained a serious injury at school, do not hesitate to reach out to our law firm regarding your legal options. If the school was negligent in any way, we will fight on your behalf for the compensation you need to ensure a comfortable and swift recovery.
Do You Have a Legal Claim?
Children are susceptible to injury, a fact that makes school injury claims so unique. That said, many injuries can be avoided. At the Leifer Law Firm, if we believe that you have a case, we will put our skill and resources to work for you. One of the first things we will do is conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and determine its cause. While the outcome of every case is dependent on factors unique to each case, school injuries that have resulted in successful claims in Florida have included:
- A school’s failure to fix broken playground or school equipment;
- A school’s failure to take action when a student, teacher, or parent has reported bullying or assaults during school hours and on school property;
- A school’s failure to allow or encourage staff to break up fights on the playground or in common areas;
- A school’s failure to secure the school from unauthorized people entering the building or school yard;
- A school’s failure to identify unsafe conditions or medical problems during an extracurricular event; and/or
- A school’s failure to protect staff members or students from sexual assault on school property.
Proving Negligence is Key
As with all personal injury claims, school injury claims hinge on one key factor: negligence. If you hope to win your claim against your child’s school, you need to prove that it was negligent in some way. Three types of negligence common in school injury cases are as follows:
- Negligent Hiring or Training Practices: If a school fails to conduct a background check on a person before hiring him or her, or if a school fails to properly train a person, and if an employee ends up harming a child, the school can be held responsible.
- Negligent Supervision: If a child between the ages of five and 19 sustains a serious injury on school property due to lack of supervision, or if a child is kidnapped or bullied on school property because of lack of supervision, the school can be held liable.
- Failure to Maintain Equipment: Schools are required to maintain all equipment on their properties, including desks, chairs, lab equipment, playgrounds, etc. If a school fails to maintain its equipment and a child is hurt as a result, it could be held liable.
Contact a Deerfield Beach School Injury Lawyer
If your child sustained a serious injury on school grounds, contact the Deerfield Beach school injury attorneys at the Leifer Law Firm to schedule a free consultation today.