Boynton Beach Birth Injury Lawyer
An act of medical negligence can result in a patient’s injury, illness, or worsened condition. When the patient is pregnant, she is not the only victim whose health can suffer – the developing fetus’ health can suffer as well, potentially disabling him or her for life. When an infant suffers a birth injury because of a healthcare provider’s negligence, the infant’s parents may file a birth injury claim, a specific type of medical malpractice claim, to pursue monetary compensation for their damages as well as their child’s. Contact our experienced Boynton Beach birth injury lawyers, we can help.
Examples of Birth Injuries
There is a wide variety of injuries a newborn can suffer before or during birth due to a healthcare provider’s negligence. They include:
- Cerebral palsy;
- Erb’s palsy;
- Broken bones;
- Subdural hemorrhaging;
- Fluid on the brain; and
- Brachial plexus injuries.
What Causes Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries can result from a variety of forms of healthcare provider negligence. These include:
- Failure to diagnose genetic conditions in the developing fetus;
- Rough handling of the newborn during and shortly after birth;
- Failure to follow up with the mother after birth;
- Using birth equipment like forceps or a vacuum extractor incorrectly;
- Failing to notice signs of distress in a fetus prior and during birth;
- Failing to order a Cesarean section when necessary;
- Prescribing the mother medication that can be harmful to a pregnant patient; and
- Failing to diagnose the mother’s illness.
Pursuing Compensation for your Birth Injury Damages
Through a birth injury claim, a parent can pursue monetary compensation for the following damages:
- The child’s medical care for the injury;
- The parents’ emotional trauma;
- The child’s projected future needs, such as the need for special education services and ongoing physical or occupational therapy; and
- The parents’ loss of income due to having to care for the child.
To recover monetary compensation for these damages, your claim must prove that your child’s injury was the direct result of a physician or other healthcare provider’s negligence. Your lawyer can help you gather and use evidence to support your claim, such as:
- Expert testimony from your child’s new doctor;
- Copies of your medical records showing the treatment you received during the pregnancy and birth;
- Photographs of your child’s injuries at birth; and
- Documentation showing the risks you or your child faced that the doctor did not address appropriately, like a genetic condition for which you are a carrier.
Work with an Experienced Boynton Beach Birth Injury Lawyer
If your child suffered a birth injury because of a healthcare provider’s negligence, you have the right to pursue a medical malpractice claim for your related damages. The most effective way to pursue this type of compensation is to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer. To get started with a member of our team, contact Leifer & Ramirez today to set up your free legal consultation in our office.