Boca Raton Negligent Security Lawyer
Businesses and commercial properties do not just sell products and services, they also provide their customers with adequate security. A business can be held liable for their lack of security if you are attacked or assaulted on the property and it results in physical or even just emotional harm, contact our Boca Raton negligent security lawyers today.
Violent Attacks Are Common
Attacks on business properties happen much more than people think. In fact, it is estimated that thousands of individuals are injured every year on commercially-owned properties.
These can include everything from:
- Dorm rooms
- Shopping centers
- Parking lots
- Apartment buildings
- Office buildings
Most of these violent attacks could have been prevented with adequate security.
What is Adequate Security?
There is no set definition for what can be considered “adequate” and what can be considered “inadequate”; instead, a business owner must interpret the risk and take measures to keep their patrons safe.
Sometimes it is as simple as adding extra lights; while other times having on-site security guards and cameras are required. No matter what, property owners (private and commercial) are required to maintain a safe environment for anyone they allow on their property.
Crimes Associated with Inadequate Security
Lack of security is the perfect breeding ground for all types of crimes. Some of the most common that occur because of negligent security include:
- Assaults and battery
- Sex crimes
The factors that lead up to these violent, horrific crimes often have to do with inadequate lighting, failure of security systems, poor or malfunctioning lights, bad locks or lack of physical security.
Common Examples of Negligent Security Crimes and Cases
Our attorneys see our fair share of negligent security cases. But, there are some that we see more often than others.
Just some of the common negligent security crimes our attorneys have handled include:
- Hotel Security Issues – As a guest of a hotel, you expect the hotel to keep you safe. But not protecting guests (in and out of their rooms) on the property could result in a negligent security charge.
- University Dorm Rooms and Campus Security Problems – Not providing enough security patrols, security cameras or other presence to prevent crimes on school grounds is negligence.
- Apartment Building Security Problems – As a renter, your landlord must provide you with a safe living environment. If he or she doesn’t provide door locks that work or allow unauthorized individuals into the building, then they are negligent and therefore, at fault for any injuries.
- Bar, Restaurant and Nightclub Security – As a paying customer of a bar, restaurant or local nightclub, you are entitled to security. If the establishment has a history of fights or other violence, they should take even more precautions to protect paying customers.
- Parking Lots – A lot of robberies, assaults, and even sexual assaults occur because of poor lighting in parking lots. At night, these are prime areas for crimes, and can easily prevented. The same goes for parking garages, which should be monitored by security guards and cameras.
- ATM Security – Not offers automated door locks, video monitoring or even poor lighting can increase the likelihood of a crime happening in front of an ATM.
What if the Culprit Isn’t Caught?
While a guilty verdict does help your case, the person who attacked you doesn’t necessarily even have to be caught in order for you to file your negligent security claim against the property owner.
That is because you are not suing the individual that assaulted you or harmed you; you are suing the property owner for creating an environment that promoted violent acts; therefore, the individual doesn’t have to be caught, arrested or even found guilty to prove your case.
Contact the Boca Raton Negligent Security Lawyers at Leifer Law Firm Today
You do have limited time to file these types of premise liability cases. You may only have a few months to pursue legal action and even on privately-owned properties, time is limited. If you or a loved one was injured due to inadequate security, then you need to contact the attorneys at Leifer Law Firm right away. During that we can answer questions, assess your case and tell you right away if you have a valid claim. There is no obligation to hire us after meeting with us, so you have nothing to lose. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation or to speak to an attorney over the phone.