Boca Raton Unnecessary Testing Lawyer
Fight back against physicians and hospitals using procedures and tests for financial gain – not your well-being.
As a patient, you rely on your physician or your local hospital to make an accurate diagnosis. To do that, they need medical tests and procedures. You assume that when a physician orders a medical test or procedure, it is necessary in order to provide you with an accurate diagnosis, which is why you consent to these tests. But, there are some physicians and hospitals that will order some tests that are unnecessary – and they simply do so in order to bill your insurance.
The Hazards of Unnecessary Testing
While some people may think unnecessary testing is harmless, it isn’t. Performing tests that are unnecessary or procedures that are not needed put a patient’s overall health at risk. While doctors are testing for things that the patient doesn’t have, they could be missing the real diagnosis. Also, multiple needle punctures, blood transfusions or even colonoscopies all increase the risk for infection or other injuries that could greatly affect a patient’s life – if not become fatal.
CommonTests That Are Unnecessarily Ordered
Doctors are meant to make sound decisions when choosing the tests and procedures for their patients. But, recent studies have found that there are some tests that are over-ordered and for no reason, including:
- Heart screening tests
- CT scans
- CT and MRI scans for muscle aches
- Imaging tests for headaches
- Antibiotics for sinus infections, colds and other illnesses that do not need antibiotics
- Throat cultures
- Frequent PAP smears
- Breast examinations
- Blood draws
Some of these tests can cause unnecessary pain for a patient. In some cases, patients may also have to fast or change their lifestyle to take these tests – and they may even have to miss work just to do a scan that was only ordered for the physician’s financial gain.
Why Physicians Order Unnecessary Tests
The reasons physicians and hospitals order unnecessary tests can vary. Some physicians do so because they are being overly cautious and do not want to miss anything; which is a legitimate reason. But, there are other cases where tests are ordered simply for financial gain and greed.
Tests can be ordered unnecessarily because:
- The hospital is low on cash flow
- The physician wants to increase the amount they can bill to the insurance company
- The physician has inadequate diagnostic skills; therefore, they rely on every test possible
- The hospital would rather test than listen to the patient or review their medical history
You May be Entitled to Compensation
If you were forced to endure unnecessary tests or procedures, you may be entitled to compensation. If you suffered an injury because of these tests, the medical malpractice attorneys at Leifer Law Firm want to help you. Depending on your case, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Pain and suffering – Undergoing unnecessary tests and procedures is taxing. You could have emotional suffering from thinking you have a more serious condition. You could have suffered physical pain going through those tests.
- Medical costs – Because the physician ordered unnecessary tests, he or she may have misdiagnosed your true condition. Now, you are facing higher medical bills trying to correct that missed diagnosis.
- Lost Wages – You had to take time off work to deal with these tests and procedures that were not necessary and you deserve reimbursement for the wages you lost.
- Loss of Earning Capacity – If you were injured and cannot work the same number of hours or you are now disabled because of these unnecessary tests, then you may be able to sue for wages you would have earned in the future.
- Wrongful Death – If a loved one dies because of an unnecessary test or complications from an unnecessary procedure, then you may be able to sue the hospital or medical professional for ordering that test and causing your loved one’s fatality.
Contact the Medical Malpractice Lawyers at Leifer Law Firm Today
The attorneys at Leifer Law Firm want to help you get the compensation you rightfully deserve. If you have endured unnecessary tests and procedures, we will aggressively represent your right to compensation. Doctors and hospitals are supposed to help people, not use them for financial gain.
Call Leifer Law Firm today for a free consultation regarding your case. We can speak with you for no fee and there is no obligation to hire us if you meet with us. If you choose to let us take your case, you don’t have to pay us unless we win your settlement.
Call now to explore your legal options against physicians and hospitals taking advantage of sick patients.