Delray Beach Surgical Error Lawyer
No doctor is perfect. All of them may make mistakes, but some are particularly egregious, especially when it comes to surgery. Surgical errors can leave people injured for life, or in the worst-case scenario, cause someone’s death, in the way that many medical errors cannot. If you have experienced a surgical error, you may be able to obtain compensation for the pain and suffering you have endured. Our Delray Beach surgical error lawyers at the Leifer Law Firm are ready to take on your case.
Any Error Can Be Dangerous
There are multiple causes of surgical error, whether large or small, though a very common one is stress or burnout on the part of the surgeon. While surgical errors may not necessarily be as obvious as, for example, leaving a sponge or a surgical instrument inside the body, they may still be present. Injuries do not always manifest immediately, especially if soft tissue and nerves have the potential to be adversely affected. Other problems such as infections may also not show up until hours or days after an operation.
It can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint that the adverse consequences one has suffered during an operation are due to a surgical error, simply because the different types of surgical errors are extremely varied. Some examples include:
- Nerve damage, which can lead to pain and loss of feeling in a limb, or even loss of the use of digits or limbs in extreme situations;
- All the assorted effects of performing the wrong procedure, or performing the right procedure on the wrong patient or area (for example, operating on the left leg instead of the right or performing an amputation when a knee replacement was planned);
- Organ or bowel perforation, which can require significant reconstruction and/or emergency treatment to correct;
- Anesthesia errors, which can cause brain damage in the worst-case scenario; and
- Any other type of error where a medical professional does not act in accordance with the prevailing standard of care.
Seeking Compensation Can Be Difficult
Despite the myriad ways one can be injured due to surgical mistake, it is not that easy to hold a medical professional liable for the harm you suffered. Florida law places several roadblocks in the path of the medical malpractice plaintiff, not least of all the requirement to do a ‘pre-suit investigation’ to determine whether or not the claim meets the criteria to even go to trial. An affidavit from a medical expert attesting to this is required to be submitted as well.
It is not, however, impossible to succeed in holding negligent surgeons accountable. Once at trial, expert testimony and records can show that the surgeon’s conduct was not in keeping with the standard of care expected of a surgeon of similar age, talent and experience, and that the conduct was the direct cause of your harm. If you can show these points, as well as showing that you did suffer tangible harm, you have a good chance of success, though nothing is ever guaranteed.
Enlist A Knowledgeable Lawyer For Your Case
No one should have to live with the consequences of someone else’s mistake if it can be avoided. The Delray Beach surgical error attorneys at the Leifer Law Firm will work with you to give you the best possible chance at a favorable outcome in your case. We will fight for you. Call today to schedule a free consultation.