Texting While Driving Accident Attorney
Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Offices serving all of Florida
Texting and driving is illegal, but hundreds of Florida drivers do it anyway.
We all know texting and driving takes lives. We’ve seen it happen countless times already. The state of Florida has strict laws that prohibit this dangerous form of distracted driving, yet hundreds (if not thousands) continue to text while behind the wheel.
Most people assume that it is safe to take their eyes off the road even for a minute, despite lawmakers’ attempts to keep people from pulling out their phones while driving.
The Deadly and Dangerous Facts about Texting and Driving
People continue to ignore the fact that texting while driving is extremely dangerous and even deadly. There are reasons Florida lawmakers have made it their passion to stop texting and driving – and have even offered harsh criminal penalties to those who continue to do it.
Just some of the statistics you should familiarize yourself with include:
- Reports show that drivers who text while operating a vehicle increase their risk for an accident by over 23 times when compared to driving without similar distractions.
- In 2011, it was estimated that 23 percent of car accidents in the United States were cellphone-related.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), of those accidents that occurred in 2011, over 3,000 people were killed by distracted drivers.
- Texting while driving is one of the most dangerous and troubling forms of distracted driving out there. It takes a driver’s visual, mental, and manual attention away from the road at once.
Texting and Driving is Illegal in Florida
Texting and driving is the root cause of most rear-end collisions in Florida. Even if you didn’t realize the driver was texting, our investigators may pull cellphone records in your rear-end accident case to use as evidence.
Texting has been identified as one of the serious causes of fatal accidents in the U.S. That is why Florida strictly prohibits texting and driving. Drivers who are caught are not only ticketed, but liable for any injuries and losses they cause.
Liability in Texting and Driving Accidents
Drivers may be held liable for your injuries and losses if they text while drive and cause an accident. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident with a texting driver, then you can hold them liable by filing a personal injury claim.
A personal injury claim is based on negligence. This means that your Boca Raton car accident attorneys will need to prove that:
- The driver has a duty to act responsibly behind the wheel and not do things that they would otherwise not do.
- The driver failed to uphold their responsible behavior requirement.
- Their failure to act responsibly caused your injuries and losses.
Any time a driver texts while driving, they are breaching their duty to drive responsibly; therefore, they are acting negligently and you have a valid reason to file a personal injury claim against them.
Damages and Compensation for Your Injuries
As the accident victim, you have the right to collect damages and compensation for your injuries and losses. These can include, but are not limited to:
- Hospital and Medical Bills
- Lost Wages
- Loss of the Ability to Earn Wages in the Future
- Wrongful Death
- Pain and Suffering
According to Florida’s statute of limitations, victims have up to four years from the time of the crash to file a claim, but it is best to start the process immediately to increase the success of a personal injury or wrongful death case.
Contact the Texting and Driving Lawyer at Leifer Law Firm Today for a Free Consultation
The Boca Raton car accident attorneys at Leifer Law Firm can help you with your case. We are here to stand up for victims’ rights, especially in texting and driving accidents. We can help you file your car accident and personal injury claim against the responsible driver, and our law firm has experience helping dozens of individuals and families in similar types of lawsuits.
If you or a loved one was injured in an auto accident Boca Raton caused by someone who was texting and driving, then you have legal options. All it takes is meeting with an auto accident lawyer at Leifer Law firm for a free consultation. We can come to you or you can come to our office and speak with a qualified distracted driving attorney.
Call us now to get started at 561-395-8055.