Fort Lauderdale School Injury Lawyer
The majority of school personnel in Florida are trustworthy and responsible, but there may be some teachers, administrators, coaches, and other employees that put your child’s safety at risk through negligence. If your child is injured as a result, you do have rights to seek compensation. Since the laws governing these claims are highly complex, it is critical to work with an experienced attorney who will protect your interests. Please contact the Leifer Law Firm to schedule a consultation with a skilled Fort Lauderdale school injury lawyer who can tell you more about your rights and remedies. You may also benefit from some general information on how these cases work.
Florida Law on School Injuries
Many children are hurt at school because of negligent acts, which can take different forms. Though the specifics may vary, negligence generally falls into a few different categories in school injury cases, such as:
- Negligent Supervision: Children must be properly monitored while on school grounds, as there are many hazards that could lead to accidents. Plus, bullying continues to be a problem despite initiatives to prevent this type of violence.
- Negligent Hiring: Like any entity that employs workers who will be around children, schools must use proper recruiting and hiring practices. Failure to vet employees and conduct background checks can put children at risk.
- Negligent Training: Employees must be properly trained to perform the tasks required for their jobs, as well as in school policies and procedures. Your child’s safety is compromised if a school inadequately trains workers.
- Negligent Maintenance of School Equipment: Equipment both in the classroom and on the playground must be safe use by children of all ages. The failure to repair, replace, or inspect equipment may be actionable.
To prove a claim based upon one of these theories or other types of negligence, it is necessary to prove certain essential elements. Our school injury attorneys at Leifer Law Firm assist by gathering the necessary evidence regarding:
- The school’s and/or employee’s duty to exercise reasonable care in handling your child;
- Breach of this legal duty of care;
- A direct link between your child’s injuries; and,
- Losses resulting from your child getting hurt.
Seeking Compensation for School Injuries
If successful in proving that negligence was involved with your child’s school injuries, our lawyers will ensure that the proper parties are held accountable. We will pursue all available compensation under Florida law, including:
- Medical expenses;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Scarring and/or disfigurement; and,
- Other types of damages depending on your specific situation.
Still, you should note that your right to recover compensation is restricted by Florida’s statute of limitations that applies to personal injury claims. You have four years to file a lawsuit against the responsible parties, or you are forever barred from suing for damages.
Set Up a Free Consultation with a Fort Lauderdale School Injury Lawyer
If your child was hurt at school, please contact the Leifer Law Firm calling 561-660-9421 or visit us online. We can schedule a consultation with one of our Fort Lauderdale, FL school injury attorneys who can explain your legal options.