Deerfield Beach Dangerous Drug Lawyer
Florida Dangerous Drug Attorney Assisting Injury Victims in Deerfield Beach
When we take medications prescribed by our physicians, we should be able to expect that those drugs are safe for use. However, it is not uncommon for dangerous drugs to reach the consumer marketplace and for patients to suffer serious injuries as a result of drug defects. Each year, pharmaceutical companies manufacture hundreds of drugs, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is supposed to regulate these products so that dangerous drugs do not reach the hands of consumers. However, dangerous drugs do make their way to consumers. When a patient takes a dangerous or defective drug, she can sustain serious and even life-threatening injuries. Anyone who has been injured as a result of a dangerous drug should discuss the case with a Deerfield Beach dangerous drug lawyer.
How Drug Recalls in Deerfield Beach Work
The FDA is supposed to prevent dangerous drugs from reaching consumers, yet dangerous drugs regularly cause harm to patients. When a prescription medication causes patient injuries, the FDA can issue a drug recall, clarifying that the product is defective and instructing consumers about what to do if they are currently relying on a dangerous medication.
There are three different classes of drug recalls that the FDA can issue, including the following:
- Class I: This is the most serious type of recall, and it means that the drug being recalled is “a dangerous or defective product that could cause serious health problems or death.”
- Class II: This is the second-most serious classification of drug recall, and it means that the product “might cause a temporary health problem, or pose a slight threat of a serious nature.”
- Class III: This is the least serious of the drug recall classifications, and it means that the product “is unlikely to cause any adverse health reaction,” but the drug “violates FDA labeling or manufacturing laws.”
It is important for consumers to know that the FDA does not announce all of its drug recalls or put information about recalls in the news. In addition, many patients sustain serious injuries as a result of dangerous drugs long before they are subject to a recall. As such, if you or someone you love got hurt after using a prescription medication, it is important to speak with a Deerfield Beach product liability lawyer as soon as possible to learn more about whether you are eligible to file a claim.
Understanding Product Liability Cases Involving Dangerous Drugs
What do we mean when we refer to dangerous drugs? Typically these are prescription medications that are unreasonably dangerous or defective in one of three different ways:
- There is a design defect in the drug that makes it dangerous;
- A manufacturing error occurred while the drug while being made, and that manufacturing error makes the drug dangerous for consumer use; and/or
- There are potentially harmful side effects associated with use of the drug, and consumers were not properly warned about those possible side effects.
Contact a Deerfield Beach Dangerous Drug Lawyer
If you or someone you love suffered a serious injury after taking a dangerous drug, it is important to speak with a Deerfield Beach dangerous drug attorney about your case. You may be able to file a claim for compensation. Nobody should have to worry about whether a prescription drug is safe for use. Contact the Leifer Law Firm to learn more about how we can assist with your claim.