Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Offices serving all of Florida
Motorcycle accidents often result in more serious injuries than car accidents because a motorcycle rider doesn’t have the same protection on their bike as they would in a car. There are numerous injuries a rider could sustain after a motorcycle accident, but there are some that are more common than others.
What are the Most Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
- Head Injuries – It is not uncommon for motorcycle riders to suffer from head injuries. Even riders that choose to wear helmets may suffer from concussions or serious trauma. Wearing a helmet does dramatically reduce the risk for permanent brain damage or death. But, riders may still encounter facial scars – depending on the type of helmet they are wearing.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – The impact of the ground or vehicle can damage a rider’s spinal column, which may lead to nerve pain, difficulty maintaining balance or even permanent paralysis.
- Paralysis – It is not uncommon for motorcycle riders to suffer from temporary or permanent paralysis after an accident. Because spinal cord and brain injuries are so common and the impacts so severe, a person could suffer from generalized paralysis, localized paralysis and more.
- Brain Injuries –Traumatic brain injuries, also referred to as TBI, are common in motorcycle accidents. TBI may not show right away either – and for some people, the symptoms come later. These symptoms can include:
- Difficulty balancing
- Coordination issues
- Unexplained migraines
- Unexplained mood changes
People with TBI are ticking time bombs. If they are not diagnosed and treated in a timely matter, they could suffer from complications that are more serious.
- Soft Tissue Injuries – For minor motorcycle accidents, riders may still suffer from soft tissue injuries. These are injuries to the tendons, ligaments, and muscles and can include:
- Neck injuries
- A sore neck
- Shoulder pain
- Chest Injuries –Chest injuries are the second leading cause of death in motorcycle accidents, because often these chest injuries are paired with the rider being pinned underneath their bike or another object.
- Fractures and Broken Bones – The impact of the ground or another vehicle will undoubtedly leave the rider with a few fractures or broken bones. While these can range from minor to severe – some will require pins and other surgical procedures to help them heal properly.
- Road Rash – Road rash is a sliding injury that is very common in motorcycle injuries. When the rider’s bike and body hit the ground, they still have some momentum, which pushes them across the asphalt. This can lead to serious skin lacerations. Some bikers even need skin grafts to recover.
- Burns – A motorcycle rider can suffer from burns when his or her motorcycle catches fire or their skin meets an exhaust pipe.
- Lacerations and Cuts – A rider, at the very least, will have cuts and lacerations post-accident. These can be minor or so severe that they require stitches. While cuts and lacerations may not seem like a big deal, they often can lead to life-threatening infections.
- Scars – Most riders who have been in a motorcycle accident will have a few scars to show for it. Whether these scars are visible or not, they may be permanently disfiguring for some.
How Much is Your Motorcycle Accident Injury Worth?
At Leifer Law Firm, we know you have a lot of medical costs and other losses to think about. It is only natural to wonder how much your injury is worth. There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all compensation chart. Instead, our attorneys take into account the severity of the injury (or injuries), how much treatment you have had, the amount of treatment you need in the future, and how those injuries affects the rest of your life. Some things we may be able to get you compensation for include:
- Current and Future Medical Costs
- Lost Wages
- Property Damage
- Loss of Future Earnings
- Pain and Suffering
As always, if you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident, do not wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you calculate how much compensation you deserve for your motorcycle injuries and get you a fair settlement.
The only way to find out how much your accident injury is worth is to meet with a Boca Raton personal injury attorney at Leifer Law Firm. Contact us today for a free consultation and we can give you an estimate of how much we think your case is worth after we review it. Our consultations are confidential and there is no obligation to hire us when you meet with us. So, contact us today to get started.