Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Offices serving all of Florida
Medication errors are alarmingly high in the state of Florida. Whether it is due to a physician’s error or an error by the pharmacy, these errors are critical and are responsible for millions of deaths each year in the United States.
The Cause of Medication Errors
Medication errors happen for a variety of reasons – and sometimes they are true mistakes. But, those mistakes come with a cost. Some common causes of medication errors include:
- Ineligible handwritten prescriptions
- Understaffed pharmacies
- Inadequately trained pharmacy technicians
- Improperly labeled medications at the pharmacy
- Improper labeling on the pharmaceutical company’s side
- Overloaded pharmacists
- Overloaded doctors
- Inaccurate patient history or medication lists provided by the patient
- Oral communication errors
- Fatigued nurses and physicians
Common Medication Errors
Medication errors are serious, and at Leifer Law Firm, we have seen our fair share of medication error cases. Some of the most common types of errors we see include:
- Wrong medication prescribed or given
- Under medicating or over-medicating the patient
- Failure to review any dangerous interactions with other prescriptions already prescribed
- Improper monitoring after the administering of a drug
- Failure to check for drug allergies
Examples of Medication Error Cases
Medication errors can happen on multiple levels – from the physician to the nurse to the pharmacy to the pharmaceutical manufacturer. With so many parties that could cause these errors, it can be difficult for individuals to know where the medication error was introduced.
Some examples of how complex medication error cases can be include:
- A physician is aware you are allergic to a medication or component, but prescribes a medication to you anyway that causes an allergic reaction.
- Medications you are already on cause dangerous effects if mixed with other medications. Your new physician prescribes a dangerous interacting drug without reviewing your medical history first.
- Your pharmacy received a prescription for Medication A, but accidentally dispenses Medication B.
- The pharmaceutical company accidentally packages Medication A in Medication B’s bottle, which is then prescribed to multiple patients.
- The physician writes the prescription properly, but the medication professional, pharmacist or nurse reads the dosage incorrectly and gives the patient too little or too much.
The Costs Associated with Medication Errors
These types of cases can result in minor injuries or serious injuries that can lead to fatalities. If a patient is prescribed the wrong dose or the wrong medication, it could result in death. Most patients who suffer from medication errors require multiple treatments, spend more time in the hospital, and the damages are severe, resulting in settlements that are in the high hundreds of thousands if not millions.
Negligence and Medication Error Lawsuits
If a patient suffers from a medication error injury, the attorneys at Leifer Law Firm will work hard to prove that the negligent party is responsible for that patient’s injury. Just some things we will do to prove that include:
- Showing that the professional owed the patient a special duty of care.
- Proving that the medical professional or company breached that duty of care.
- Proving that the breach of that duty resulted in the patient’s injuries.
- Showing that because of that injury, the patient encountered damages.
Depending on the severity of your injury, you may be entitled to compensation. The amount of compensation varies and can depend on the factors of your case, but the attorneys at Leifer Law Firm will work hard to ensure you get the maximum amount of compensation you are due.
Contact an Attorney That Specializes in Medication Error Cases
If you or a loved one was injured because of a medication error, you need the assistance of a skilled medical malpractice attorney. The team at Leifer Law Firm has helped numerous victims in these types of cases fight insurance companies and hold medical professionals as well as pharmaceutical companies responsible for their negligence.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. When you go with Leifer Law Firm, we promise:
- There’s no fee for meeting with us
- You don’t pay us unless we win your case
- Everything is confidential
- You aren’t obligated to hire us even if you meet with us
- We will come to you – your work, your home, the hospital or even meet you at the park
- We will treat you with the utmost respect
- We will provide you with personalized service and individualized attention
If you or a loved one was injured because of a medication error, you need an attorney that can defend your rights and get you the compensation you are entitled to. Contact the attorneys at Leifer Law Firm today and be put in touch with a skilled medication error lawyer now.