Boca Raton Boat Accident Attorneys
Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Offices serving all of Florida
The boat accident attorneys at Leifer Law Firm have years of experience representing individuals and groups that were injured in boating accidents.
With the great weather in Florida year-round there are hundreds of boats out on the open water each day—and with all of that water traffic comes a higher risk for injury.
Our boat accident attorneys understand the legal issues with these types of accidents, and we may be able to help you get compensation you deserve for medical bills and other losses associated with that boating accident. Contact us today for a no cost evaluation of your boating accident case.
Why Hire a Boating Accident Lawyers?
An attorney can advise you on your rights, and help you file and litigate your lawsuit. Most importantly, an attorney and legal team will allow you to focus on your recovery while they handle the legal aspects of your claim.
Just some of the things your attorney can do for you include:
- Researching the history behind the boat and seeing if there have been similar accidents in the area;
- Reviewing the boat owner or operators history and proving whether or not they have a history of frequent boating accidents;
- Reviewing the law to see what laws were applicable in your case;
- Investigating the scene and even hiring experts to help recreate the scene for jurors;
- Collecting witness statements to get an account of the accident from all parties;
- Reviewing medical records and documenting your injuries as well as the costs associated with those injuries;
- Consulting expert witnesses to help prove your claim;
- Negotiating with other lawyers and insurance adjusters to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Filing a Lawsuit
To file a boating accident injury case, you need to prove negligence. That means if the other driver of the boat did not exercise reasonable care and they caused injuries, they are negligent under Florida laws.
All boat operators, owners, sales companies and even boat leasing firms as well as manufacturers are required to ensure safe boating at all time; any failure to do so could result in a boating lawsuit.
In order to win a lawsuit for a boat accident, you must prove negligence and there are four key factors that determine that:
- The other party owed some duty to you;
- The duty was breached due to their act or omission of an act;
- You sustained injuries and losses;
- The breach of their responsibility is what caused your injuries and losses.
What are examples of breach of duty?
It can be hard to determine what a breach of duty is, but some common examples in boating accident cases include:
- Operating a boat without experience.
- Failing to pay attention to the surroundings – such as looking out for other boats, swimmers or skiers.
- Not using navigation lights while operating the boat at night.
- Operating a boat with restricted vision.
- Operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Defective boat machinery.
- Failing to follow boating laws and regulations.
- Not carrying essential safety equipment on board.
- Boating in inclement weather or traveling into unauthorized zones.
Compensation You May be Entitled To
While every boating accident case is different, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries if you can prove that someone or a group of individuals were at fault for your injuries. Just some things you may receive compensation for include, but are not limited to:
- Medical Costs – This can include current and future costs to treat your injuries associated with the boating accident. You can also include physical therapy, transportation, and even surgical procedures.
- Lost Wages –You are most likely going to take time off work for your injuries; therefore, you can sue the negligent party for your lost wages. If you are unable to work in the future, you can also sue for your future earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering – The physical and emotional trauma associated with these types of accidents can be severe. You can get compensation for your pain and suffering that you dealt with because of the accident.
Contact the Boat Accident Attorneys at Leifer Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a boating accident, contact the lawyers at Leifer Law Firm today. We offer free case reviews and we can tell you right away if you have a valid claim. Call us now to schedule your no obligation appointment and we will discuss your legal options for compensation.
Related Links :
- Five Ways to Prevent Florida Boating Accidents
- How to File a Claim for Boat Accident Damage in Florida