Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Boca Raton
Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Offices serving all of Florida
Car and pedestrian accidents are not all that uncommon here in Florida. After all, a large majority of people walk on the streets and enjoy the warm weather year-round.
Whether you were the pedestrian or the vehicle, you still have rights to collect a settlement for your car-pedestrian accident injuries.
What You Need to Know about Car Accidents with Pedestrians
Being hit by a car is traumatic. Hitting a pedestrian with your own vehicle can also be traumatic. The injuries in these types of accidents are often catastrophic and can be fatal.
Depending on the speed of the vehicle at the time of impact, a pedestrian could suffer from long-term medical issues or even permanent disability.
Your Legal Options as the Pedestrian
If you suffered from a pedestrian-car accident, it is all about proving that the driver was at fault and legally liable for your injuries. Your accident attorneys will need to prove that the driver acted negligently, and therefore, should be responsible for a settlement.
Some common ways a driver is negligent when hitting a pedestrian include:
- Entering a crosswalk without looking for pedestrians
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (prescription drugs also included)
- Distracted driving
- Texting and driving
- Vehicle malfunction
- Running a red light
- Failure to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk
- Failure to observe traffic signals
Can a Pedestrian be at Fault?
The driver is not always at fault in pedestrian-car accidents. There are also times a pedestrian can be held at fault rather than the driver. Florida allows contributory negligence, which means even if the pedestrian was only 5 percent negligent, the driver could collect up to 5 percent in damages from the pedestrian.
Some examples of when the pedestrian may be fully at fault or partially at fault for the accident include:
- Jaywalking or crossing in unauthorized areas
- Jumping out into the middle of traffic
- Entering the street or even a highway while intoxicated
- Walking against traffic or crossing the street against traffic
- Walking along bridges and highways in Florida where pedestrian access is not allowed
Damages for a Pedestrian Involved Car Accident
No matter who was the victim and who was at fault, someone is eligible to receive compensation. As the victim, you may be able to collect compensation for:
- Medical Bills
- Pain and Suffering
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Earning Capacity
- Rehabilitative or Physical Therapy Care
- Surgical Care
- Funeral Costs (if wrongful death occurs)
- Personal Property Damage
- Temporary or Permanent Disability
- Medical Equipment
- Prescription Costs
Medical expenses are one of the highest expenses in these types of cases – especially if the pedestrian was an innocent victim.
Because the sheer weight of the vehicle can cause catastrophic injuries, pedestrians have injuries that are more severe than if they were in a vehicle as well. Most pedestrians suffer from long-term disability, including amputations or even paralysis.
Contact the Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Boca Raton at Leifer Law Firm
The attorneys at Leifer Law Firm will work hard to prove that the driver was acting negligently at the time of the accident.
Our process is vigorous and we have investigators that are thorough, just some of the things we will do to prove the driver was at fault include:
- Recreating the accident scene
- Gathering witness statements
- Collecting cellphone records to prove the driver was distracted
- Using video footage of the accident, if available
- Hiring experts to testify
- Statements made by the driver at the accident scene
- Gathering police reports and photographs
Whether you were a pedestrian that was struck by a vehicle or a vehicle that hit a pedestrian, you have rights under Florida laws.
While there is no dollar amount that can reverse time, we hope that the compensation you receive is enough to help you stay financially sound and recover from your injuries.
We understand how stressed and confusing the entire process can be. And, we want to help you recover your losses.
If you or a loved one was struck by a car or involved in an accident with a pedestrian, you need the assistance of a West Palm Beach auto accident attorney to not only get the compensation you deserve, but protect your rights.
These types of cases are highly complex – and difficult to prove in courts. No matter the cause of the accident, call the attorneys at Leifer Law Firm now for a consultation.